Hide! Here Comes the Insurance Guy - Numbing the Pain

Check out the intro to the book. Informative yet humorous... Who knew!!?

It's like Novocaine before getting root canal - it makes the whole process a little less painful. Enjoy!

The first thing people ask me about this book is: “Why a book on insurance? And business insurance, to boot?”

To me, this question really means: “You’re kidding, right?”

In fact, when I initially pitched this idea to the publisher, I was met with an uncomfortable silence on the other end of the line. Fortunately, being in the insurance end of business, I’m pretty accustomed to stunned silence.
After about five seconds of this, I gave it my best marketing effort:


“Sounds kind of like death, doesn’t it?”


The reason for this book is simple. There are too few insurance professionals who work outside of the insurance industry. The insurance industry is a wonderful career choice for those who pursue it and stay with it. Most who go into this line of business stay in the business until they retire—or die.


I am an anomaly in the insurance industry. I have spent my entire career in business and not in insurance. I am not a purveyor of insurance; I am a consumer of insurance.


I am a risk manager.


A risk manager determines the financing needs of an organization, provides coverage for the company, and works the insurance program on behalf of his or her employer.


I am a buyer, not a seller. I look out for the needs of the commercial consumer, and I have no ties to the insurance industry other than as a consumer. At no time have I ever worked in the supply side of insurance.

On the other hand, the insurance industry has certified me as an expert in the property casualty field, conferring on me four professional insurance designations (certifications) including the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), which is considered the gold standard in the property/casualty insurance industry.


I am not saying this to toot my own horn but to point out that I have always represented the interests of the business consumer, whether a sole proprietorship or a Fortune 100 company.


Yet there are precious few of us who have remained untouched by the supply end of the insurance food chain. Most, if not all, of the information that is communicated concerning business insurance is generated by the insurance industry itself.

1 comment:

commercial insurance said...

As i see the points outlined in your post i feel your book is worth reading and it may work as a guide for the people in large organization as its written from a consumer of insurance rather than agent